Wednesday, March 12, 2008

03.12.2008

Male Nude, Standing In Reverse, With Arms Around A Female Nude, And Her Arms Around His Neck (Couple Dancing)
title: Male Nude, Standing In Reverse, With Arms Around A Female Nude, And Her Arms Around His Neck (Couple Dancing)
size: 11x15 in.
medium: watercolor, pencil
price: $150.00



I painted this about two weeks ago at the Society of Illustrators Jazz & Sketch. This was a turning point for me. For the last several months I've been struggling to create something that I truly appreciated. It seemed like I had been moving backwards skill-wise instead of improving. Every artist goes through this (the dreaded "Funk"). My solution has always been to relax and stop worrying about the outcome. And that particular night I decided to take my own advice. With a loose grip on my pencil I quickly sketched in the male figure and the rest of the painting kind of came together. I do wish I had a little more time to define the hands before the models moved on to the next pose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one. I always like the bit of abstract quality in watercolor.
(change of technique sometimes works for me to avoid skills moving backwards)

Arkady Roytman said...

Thanks Leo.