Tuesday, March 25, 2008

03.25.2008

Dirty Martini, Seated In Profile, Wearing a Purple Mask and Panties
title: Dirty Martini, Seated In Profile, Wearing a Purple Mask and Panties
size: 11x15 in.
medium: watercolor, water-soluble pencil
price: $200.00


This painting is from Spring 2006. It was a very busy night at the Society of Illustrators. Syd Mead was lecturing to a packed audience downstairs in the gallery. Upstairs we were having our Third Thursday festivities. And further up in the library the board meeting was letting up. All in all there must have been at least 300 people at the SoI that night. I didn't plan on drawing but because there was no room at the Mead lecture, I ended up finding a little corner and some space to do a little sketching. Then good ol'e Jeff Fisher grabbed me by the neck, threw me in his seat, and handed me a really fun water-soluble pencil. It had a waxy texture and felt more like an oil pastel. The water activated the pigment a little yet still kept the integrity of the line. Unfortunately I don't think they make these types of pencils anymore.

No comments: